Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Where the information highway turns into a dirt road


Seven years ago, I worked at a shoe store (great for all sorts of writing fodder). I called a customer to let him know his order was in and got his answering machine. It was full of static and his voice had a southern, older twang. He said, "Welcome to the -- residence, where the information highway turns into a dirt road." I didn't stop laughing for a while.

And back then, it was still something you could laugh about. But today? No. Today, knowing how to navigate that highway--feels more like an orbit these days--is a necessity for almost any endeavor. And if it's not a necessity, it's a way to have a richer life, more informed, judicious, frugal, a way to find what must sometimes be, in this complicated world, a circuitous route to one's dreams.

For example, I'm judging entries for a local writer's conference contest. As I sat eating at Mediterranean Cafe (a great little place downtown, owned by dear friends; her blog: http://countessarugula.blogspot.com/), reading the first couple of entries, I was struck by how uninformed some of the writing seemed. In one case, it was the writing itself. In another, it was the presentation.

And what I mean by uninformed is that, especially with the internet, but even without, a literal plethora of help and guidance about good writing and proper presentation exists at our fingertips. But I've noticed that some people don't even think of tapping into these reservoirs to aid their writing journeys. Yes, Google is ubiquitous, but for a very good reason: it works.

I have met new writer after new writer who didn't even think of searching for basic writing information. I write down web site after site on napkins at restaurants. I mean, if one is writing a picture book for the first time, would it not make sense to google "picture book writing" right at the start?

But it's clear that many of those I talk to--even some of whom think they're ready to send manuscripts to publishers or to self-publish!--are not aware of the information highway and many don't seem to care. They don't seem to realize how crucial it could be to getting published and just being a better writer. At a conference last fall, during a question and answer session with editors from major publishers, at least half of the questions asked could have been answered by going to Google first. And this was the top organization for this genre! They wasted having those ears at their disposal because they were too lazy to use their computer, learn to use one, or go to the library to use one.

Now, I like the "dirt road" and try to live most parts of my life grounded in what I consider to be "reality": unprocessed food, library books, family, friends, a world perspective (especially when organizing our very small house), trying to base my knowledge and judgments on straight, undiluted information (like Vital Speeches of the Day: http://www.votd.com/, a record of what people are actually saying instead of the spin of what they said).

But I also recognize that the information orbit can infinitely impact my life. Yes, for the better and the worse. But mainly--wow! I sound like an optimist--for the better. So I use it. And when someone complains about not knowing something, I immediately think--and then say--have you googled it? What I want to say is, "Give me a break. Crack open your mind, break out your fingers, and just type a little and you'll be on your way." What I say is, "Have you googled that? Check out this site and this site and this blog...." And I say it with a smile, but inside I just want to throttle them a tiny bit.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]